Saturday, December 27, 2014

On Reading Chesterton

Currently plowing my way through the most recent literary gift I received: In Defense of Sanity by G.K. Chesterton. It's a collection of his "best" essays. In marking the high notes of his best essays I am really just adding the worst marks to the book myself. I'm learning to just write in the books I'm reading. If not, I will never really remember what made me think about changing my mind about anything. That's worse than writing in a book and possibly covering a smidgen of printed text.

I'm only about 23 pages of 400 in, but here's my favorite line so far:

"There is an idea that it is humiliating to run after one's hat; and when people say it is humiliating they mean that it is comic. It certainly is comic; but man is a very comic creature, and most of the things he does are comic - eating, for instance. And the most comic things of all are exactly the things that are most worth doing - such as making love. A man running after a hat is not half so ridiculous as a man running after a wife."












I used to make fun of my peers in high school when I took their hats off and they scrambled to take them back from me with all vindication. Now I realize that I'm the married one.

Nick

No comments: