Thursday, October 8, 2015

Music Recommendation: Citizens & Saints: Join The Triumph

Two consolations:

I know I haven't posted a music recommendation in a while.
I know this album technically came out last year.

Citizens & Saints (formerly Citizens) released this album almost a year ago as the time of this blog's writing. I'm just here to make a couple observations and link a Spotify thing.

Observations:
1. Even less contemporary guitar-bass-piano-bass. Lots more synth.

The band has gotten a lot more comfortable with the almighty synthesizer. Expect more artificial noise. I personally think these sorts of things detract from the musicianship, but I'm saying this as a drummer who prefers to hit real drums. Take my salt with a grain of feelings. The sound works for them, and for that, I am glad.

2. Even more clean production.

Production value is an all-time high for this band. I prefer the dirtiness of their first EP (back when they were a Mars Hill band). But this is not necessarily a detraction.

3. Even more hymns.

Criticisms of Mars Hill's church strategy aside, I do believe there has been an increase in the proliferation of the hymns of the last few centuries, in no small part due to the influence of Mars Hill's worship music and its stylistic pervasion into the CCM sphere. The helpfulness of the old forms is not to be dismissed; and the hymn+modern music sensibilities formula never sounds terribly formulaic. Advantageous to hear these words because of how malleable the media is.

The verdict:

Citizens... sounds kinda like what I expect. A non-nonsense 80's-tinged indie rock worship album with clean production and classic hymns.

The Recommendations:
The Strife Is Over
Be Thou My Vision
Father You Are All We Need

I don't give out letter ratings, but if I did, I'd give this one a B.

I guess I give out letter ratings.

SDG

Nick

Spotify:


No comments: